Recomendations-based-on-taste-thread

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 24.10.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

erv said:
I like a lot of different music, mainly rock, hardrock type stuff.

I advise Alter Bridge to anyone. I think they\'re the best rock band to date.

I\'m very curious about other peoples tastes. I am always on the lookout for rock bands with good guitars and a singer that doesn\'t sound like he has a pineapple up his butt. Seems to be hard to find these days, it\'s growling screaming or whining.

Any suggestions?

Well going off of \"rock\", \"good guitars,\" and \"singer that doesn\'t do screaming/growling,\" I think of Robert Randolph and the Family Band. They are one of the best bands out there at the moment, in my opinion. They\'ve played with Eric Clapton and Dave Mathews a bit, too (both guest sing on their newest cd). They might not be you\'re style, though. I\'ll post it up just in case and for anyone who wants to listen.

I Need More Love

Going in the Right Direction

Hope I\'m not cluttering the thread with the youtube videos.

Also, you may like some power metal bands. They typically sing with clean vocals and have metal style guitar playing. I suggest Kamelot and Dreamscape. The Kamelot link doesn\'t have any of my favorite songs on there, sadly.

At Bart:
I\'m not fond the singing style for CYHSY. They have some talent and are a creative bunch, just not my thing. And every time I try, I just don\'t get into Radiohead that much. Maybe I\'ll delve a little further next time (I\'ve only listened to a few songs).

I\'m listening to Wolf Parade right now. They\'re good, but I\'m not crazy for them just yet. Stuff tends to grow on me though, so I\'ll keep them in mind.

( Edited 08.08.2008 07:53 by TAG )

TAG: That American Guy

"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." Romans 12:18

Bart.... said:
Modplan man, I liked that song by Kwoon and am going to check out the cd, really beautiful video as well.

Drone reminded me of Four Tet(check that out if you haven't already Modplan Man, especially Rounds), Venetian Snares and Moby(just a bit, probably the singing in places and guitar). Somewhat strange, but Bellydance and Games were very nice. Liked Spiderhead up until the ending parts. Spanks.

Four Tet was rather goods, have favourited them for safe keeping. Drone's best song (or at least my favourite) is probably Telephone. Give it a try via iTunes (30 second previews of each song), the album being Colour For Money.

Tastes:

David Mysterious
Radiohead
Babybird
The Gentle Good
Jakokoyak
Messner
The House of Soviet Eyewear/T.H.O.S.E.
Echo & The Bunnymen
The Matthew Herbert Big Band

Do people even know who half of those are?

Guest 08.08.2008#103

Ike, you'll probably enjoy Pearl Jam as well.
Also check out the albums 'Siamese Dream' and 'Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness', both great albums by the Smashing Pumpkins.

Erv, you should also try Stone Temple Pilots' 'Core' album, and try some Faith no More, Porcupine Tree('Fear of a Blank Planet' and 'Deadwing') and Tool.

TAG, be sure to try 'OK Computer' by Radiohead, an amazing album really and definitely worth of checking out a few times. One of the best albums of the last fifteen years I'd say.

You might also like !!!'s 'Myth Takes'. I don't listen to it much anymore, but I had a period where I listened to it everyday. It's a bit gay in places, but some interesting music. Try it.

oh yeah i forgot about pearl jam, i like that band to Smilie

I think Radiohead just has to grow on me. I\'m listening to \"Airbag\" right now, with \"Karma Police\" on deck.

I didn\'t care for Myth Takes, by the way.

At Modplan Man:
If you\'re into big band stuff, you should look into Gordon Goodwin\'s Big Phat Band (\"Sing, Sang, Sung\") or Denver and the Mile High Orchestra.
Also, you may like The Squirrel Nut Zippers. They\'re not quite big band, but they share several elements of big band.
I think several other people may like them as well, so I\'ll post a video (awesome video, too!):
Ghost of Stephen Foster

Also look at \"Put a Lid On It,\" and \"Hell.\"

Modplan Man, you may also like Maneli Jamal (you can find him on youtube). He\'s plays a great acoustic guitar. The Gentle Good kind of reminded me of him. You may like the oldies like Mason Williams and Glen Campbell, too.

Erv and Ike (and anyone else), you may like Poets of the Fall. I forgot to recommend them last night. They\'re big in Finland and I think they\'re slowly trying to push into the U.S. and other countries. I\'d love to see them in concert!

Carnival of Rust

Locking Up the Sun
Lift

This is a fun thread! Thanks for reviving, Bart! Smilie

( Edited 09.08.2008 08:10 by TAG )

"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." Romans 12:18
Guest 09.08.2008#106

TAG: that video by the Squirrel Nut Zippers is really awesome. Song is good too. It\'s nice music, not something I would normally put on though.
I just got a 2cd set of Porcupine Tree, have you tried that yet? It\'s progressive rock, with some heavier parts, it\'s mostly softer stuff they produce though(and clean singing). My father who is 53 loved an epic song of their latest album which goes on for 17 minutes. I\'ll link you to the opening song of \'Fear of a Blank Planet\':
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=sUnAxegUJu0
(It\'s been edited though, the original is 7:28 long)

I do not like those Poets of the Fall, it sounds too much like what I would normally hear on a hit radio station.
Smilie

Erv or Ike, you might want to look into a band called \'Kyuss\'. I can\'t form a proper opinion on them yet, but it sounds like it would be up your streets. A bit heavier I think though, but no screaming or whining from what I heard. Some good guitar riffs as well.

Modplan Man, I haven\'t heard of any of those bands haha. I\'ll check that Drone song though. Ah crap, don\'t feel like installing Itunes.

Oh btw TAG, I like Lemon Jelly. I got the album \'Lost Horizons\'...great opening song, very happy music, will be listening to it again after the Mars Volta.Smilie

and TAG, you should definitely try Sufjans Stevens \'Come on Feel the Ilinoise\' album. He is a singer songwriter who plays about 20 instruments and just this one album made him become my second most listened to artist on lastfm, which is a big feat.

(Cheese, you could also check him out, not like Bob Dylan, but a great songwriter nonetheless).

( Edited 09.08.2008 13:47 by Bart.... )

Okay I aint been on if freaking ages!

But at the moment I'm on with:

Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Slipknot
De La Soul
Beirut
Sigur Ros
The Streets

Once in a lifetime.

Zelos said:
Okay I aint been on if freaking ages!

But at the moment I'm on with:

Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Slipknot
De La Soul
Beirut
Sigur Ros
The Streets

You may like Arcade Fire. They tend to use a few unusual instruments to make rock music.

Oh, and you may also like Band of Horses. For some reason, I see Beirut connected to Band of Horses a lot when I'm looking at Band of Horses stuff on the internet. I don't really know why. I don't care for Beirut myself, or what I've heard of them at least. But I'm liking Band of Horses quite a bit at the moment. I really like the singing in Band of Horses.

Bart, I don't really care for Porcupine Tree, but I think I'm going like Sufjan Stevens. My first impressions of him are good. I've been meaning to check out both artists for a while. Glad you like Lemon Jelly so much Smilie

Guest 10.08.2008#109

TAG said:
Zelos said:
Bart, I don\'t really care for Porcupine Tree, but I think I\'m going like Sufjan Stevens. My first impressions of him are good. I\'ve been meaning to check out both artists for a while. Glad you like Lemon Jelly so much Smilie

I got his second \'state\' album as well now, called \'Greetings from Michigan, the great lake state\'. Which also sounds very good! Less symphonic and grand, so more soft and quieter songs from my first impression.
I can definely recommend him to anyone. I was quite touched by his \'John Wayne Gacy jr.\', became addicted to it(you can find that song on youtube with a nice video) and got the cd. The only song I dislike on the album is \'Chicago\'. The outro isn\'t that great either, but not really bad or anything.
And I\'ve got the version with Superman on the cover which is rare apparently. They had to remove it due to legal issues in later prints.

Glad I finally could make a good recommendation for ya.Smilie

Zelos: I thought Kwoon - Tales and Dreams sounded like Sigur Ros, check it out. Going off Slipknot, you might be interested in Fear Factory and Lamb of God...can\'t really say for sure though.

Shame Buddha isn\'t around anymore, he could have given you some good hip hop recommendations. Heard Nas - Illmatic or something is supposed to be good, and I\'m looking into DJ Shadow - Endtroducing now, should be good also.

( Edited 09.08.2008 23:17 by Bart.... )

Hadouken!- Electronica
Klaxons- Indie/Electronica
Bloc Party- Indie
Iron Maiden- Heavy Metal
Rammstein- Industrial/Metal
Deathstars- Industrial
Serj Tanakian- Metal/Rock
System of a Down- Metal/Rock
Scars on Broadway- Metal/Rock
Slayer- Metal
Primus- Jazz/Funk
Dragonforce- Metal
Metallica- Metal
Megadeth- Metal
Prodigy- Rave
Muse- Rock
Radiohead- Rock
Queens of the Stone Age- Rock

( Edited 09.08.2008 23:29 by Masterchef )

Project Trico Love
"Please keep all comments clean and friendly!"- C3 Bot
No chance of that.
Guest 10.08.2008#111

Well I'd say:

Rammstein, Deathstars - Nine Inch Nails(NIN), Fear Factory
Slayer - The Haunted (check this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZqIlH3zvdk)

You will probably also like Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf. (not a john cage cd
Smilie)

Masterchef, going off the metal artists, particularly Iron Maiden and Dragonforce, I say you need to check out Cellador. You might like them.

\"Leaving All Behind\" video

( Edited 17.08.2008 05:06 by TAG )

Thanks TAG for the recoms, like them so far, haven't gone through them all yet.

Anybody interested in Radiohead should try Thom Yorkes solo stuff (mainly The Eraser), along with U.N.K.L.E.

They did a duet with Thom Yorke:

Cheers for the recomendations Tag & Bart.

I'm already in love with Arcade Fire but I defo will check out a bit more Band of Horses, sounds appealing!

Loving the sounds of Kwoon too, and I'll check out the new Nas record.

Illinoise is amazing by Sufjan Stevens, the whole album is incredible in my opinion. I think Chicago is a stunning song.

Merci!

Once in a lifetime.

Bands I'm listening to at the moment:

Barclay James Harvest
Mountain
Weezer
The Mad Capsule Markets
Barenaked Ladies
Bruce Springsteen
Cat Stevens
Vangelis
Suede
Creedence
Sigue Sigue Sputnik
Prince

Recommend away!

Guest 23.08.2008#116

Zelos said:

I'm already in love with Arcade Fire but I defo will check out a bit more Band of Horses, sounds appealing!

Illinoise is amazing by Sufjan Stevens, the whole album is incredible in my opinion. I think Chicago is a stunning song.

Merci!

Have you heard Sufjans 'Greetings from Michigan' album? It rivals Illinoise for sheer quality. Great, great abum, the song 'Holland' alone is worth getting the cd for alone. Well almost, the whole cd is pretty amazing!

Modplan Man, to get back on Kwoon, you should check out Mogwai. Especially the song 'New paths to Helicon part 1' reminded me of Tales and Dreams. That's what I had written down at least.:p
Still very good band that you should know of. (you probably do already, but yeah)

Smells, thanks for the Muse recommendation. :p
Thanks to your post I finally checked them out(shame on me?), especially 'Origin of Symmetry'. Great album! I'd say you should check out 'Siamese Dream' by the Smashing Pumpkins as well, you'll enjoy that I think.

Jambo, what do you think of Don Mclean's 'American Pie'? My mother got it on vinyl. I really like it too. Try that one.

Jambo said:
Bands I'm listening to at the moment:

Barclay James Harvest
Mountain
Weezer
The Mad Capsule Markets
Barenaked Ladies
Bruce Springsteen
Cat Stevens
Vangelis
Suede
Creedence
Sigue Sigue Sputnik
Prince

Recommend away!

I found a band a while back on garageband.com that you may like. They're called "Edge of Sanity."
*Edge of Sanity site*
Click on the mp3 button at the top to find four free mp3s. I'm listening to "Secret Life" right now.
Despite parts of the site being in a different language (German?), their songs are all in English.

And Bart, I think you may like a little group called The Spinto Band. I actually found while I was looking at different colleges, and they were a "success story" or something from the college.

Oh Mandy

Guest 24.08.2008#118

For a minute there I thought we were thinking of the same Edge of Sanity. The one I know recorded an album called Crimson which just has one long song of 40 minutes. It's a metal band by the way.
That website(and the band) is Dutch though, if you want one or two sentences translated give me a call. :p

Not too impressed with that Spinto band, but it's definitely nice music to listen to. Can imagine them scoring a hit with that.

I've recently been delving more into the electronic genre, if you like that TAG, might I recommend you some u-Ziq? His album Lunatic Harness is very good. In the style of Venetian Snares, only less extreme and easier on the ear. I thought I saw somewhere you liked Szmar Madr or something by VS. I'll post two links:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UN_9nB37O_U&feature=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=71WRHjD1Co4

I'm not into electronica that much. Every now and then I somehow come across something I like, like Szmar Madr or Nice Weather for Ducks, but both kind of straddle the line. Szar Madr is built off that classical song, which is then spruced up with those fast rhythmic electronica sounds (plus having that wonderful music video). Nice Weather for Ducks has the acoustic guitar, a bass guitar, a percussion part, and then some electronica layers on top of that wouldn't sound out of place on any modern song. All those instruments may be done with synths, but they're played in the traditional way most of the time.

Electronica is alright. It's pleasant to my ears, but I never get into it enough to want to buy it. I've still not even bought any Venetian Snares or Lemon Jelly stuff (I ought to buy Nice Weather for Ducks, though).

Bart.... said:
Zelos said:

Merci!

Have you heard Sufjans 'Greetings from Michigan' album? It rivals Illinoise for sheer quality. Great, great abum, the song 'Holland' alone is worth getting the cd for alone. Well almost, the whole cd is pretty amazing!

Nice one Bart. I was just looking at that album last night, I'm definitely going to have to blag my mate to lend it now!
Love Oh Mandy too, catching pop right there.

Once in a lifetime.

I would know maybe about 1 in 10 bands mentioned here, but oh well.

I like:

Franz Ferdinand - Indie
Breaking Benjamin - Hard Rock
Dead Letter Circus - Indie
A sound Mind - Plain Fuken awesome (Very new though)
3 Doors Down - Grunge
Evanescence - Metal/Alternative
Pete Murray - Easy listening
Before their eyes - Metal
A.F.I. - Hard rock
Birds of Tokyo - Soft Rock (Maybe)

ARGUABLY THE BEST SONGS I HAVE

1)Birds of Tokyo - Broken Bones
2)Birds of Tokyo - Shillouetics

( Edited 12.09.2008 08:04 by A_man_92 )

Can brawl anytime now.....if you want an easy win
BOMBERMAN code: 2879 2176 8600, or just find me in a random match I think it might be time for Newspapers to look over their sponsorship contracts...

WOw! so many songs to choose from, so many bands, I like this thread. Im a watch it for a while.

Ummm.....I dunno... Coldplay? Maroon 5. heh heh......

IANC said:
WOw! so many songs to choose from, so many bands, I like this thread. Im a watch it for a while.

Ummm.....I dunno... Coldplay? Maroon 5. heh heh......

Coldplay are awesome, I love their new album.

Aerosmith, Nirvana and Bon Jovi are also good, my sister has gotten me into great 80's stuff I used to ignore

Can brawl anytime now.....if you want an easy win
BOMBERMAN code: 2879 2176 8600, or just find me in a random match I think it might be time for Newspapers to look over their sponsorship contracts...

They Might Be Giants
Sparks
Freezepop
The Beatles
N.E.R.D.
Nirvana
Celldweller
Dispatch
Powerman 5000
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Help me.

Guest 22.09.2008#125

Ziekerz, I imagine you'd like Primus...if you're not afraid of listening to and willing to try some weird music.
Sailing the Seas of Cheese should be a good album to start with. The album I'm listening to now reminds me a bit of Bleach by Nirvana.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo, Sandy Wilson

There are 2 members online at the moment.