C3 Game of the Decade(TM)

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 13.09.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Radio Future looks a lot darker than the first game, and to be honest the visuals aren\'t that much better (if at all), although the DC game looked awesome anyway.

I\'ll continue arguing for Sonic Advance(01/02) and/or Rush (05). *checks the list*

Fuck, Advance up against Golden Sun, Kingdom Hearts and Melee. Damn your bad luck Sonic!

Fuck, Rush up against Resident Evil 4....
Smilie

Strangely I feel like giving up Rush. Advance I may as well give it a go! Advance\'s only big flaw is that it takes a long time to gain any sort of speed IMO, that\'s what stops it from being the Sonic 4 everyone wants.

( Edited 20.03.2009 12:32 by SuperLink )

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

Phoenixus said:
Um, every game is flawed in some way, why single these lot out?

Granted, all games have flaws. If you genuinely believe Spider-Man 2 is a serious candidate for best game of 2004, post an argument for it and I'll reconsider. Likewise with any of them. It's easy enough to just list games we like. I love Tooie. But it's got massive slow-down issues, a convoluted moveset and level design that's often too sprawling for its own good.

In detail, tell me why they should be included.

Less posty, more gamey.

Well, Spider-Man 2 manages to be one of the very few Superhero Movie tie-ins to be excellent fun, that's one major thing it has going for it. Not only that, but it (in my opinion at least) took GTA's Blueprint and ran with it, something very few Sandbox games have been able to do since.
Like you said, the whole list rides on opinion, and personally I'd let S-M 2 have a chance at votes. Same with Mirror's Edge; an original and enjoyable concept from EA of all developers, overflowing with colour that sets it apart from all the Grey and Brown games on the shelf.

Dunno about Tooie, I'm yet to try that one myself so I'll take your word for it for now. Smilie

Your taking timesplitters(2) off, you must be joking me, the best offline multiplayer mode of the decade I'd argue (It definately gives Golden eye a run for it's money) .

SL I'm with you Sonic advance 1 (2 or rush 1/2) needs to be on the list.

Did very many people play Ultimate Spiderman? It was free roaming (sandbox?), but it was cell shaded and I think based on the comics.

That was good fun. I think enjoyed it more than Spiderman 2, but I can't really recall Spiderman 2.

TAG: That American Guy

"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." Romans 12:18

Resident Evil 4 it paved the way for the next gen TPS'.
Super Mario Galaxy made gaming fun again.
Ocarina of Time a true masterpiece.
MGS4 it nearly made me cry, game of forever.
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory a tactical thrillride.
GoldenEye ahead of its time and played from start to end of it's consoles generation.
WWF No Mercy it was packed to the brim with shit to do. Best grappler.
Resident Evil 2 I still play it. A true testament of a great game.
Dead Space it came out of nowhere and i loved it to...dead.
Grand Theft Auto 3 I played it everyday until the next came out.
TimeSplitters 2 what do I have to say that you don't already know?
Okami I'm playing a Sumi-E painting.
Shadow of the Colossus is on it's own level of brilliance

That's mine. These are the games I've invested a lot of hours into.

Simez said:

Ocarina of Time a true masterpiece.
GoldenEye ahead of its time and played from start to end of it\'s consoles generation.
Resident Evil 2 I still play it. A true testament of a great game.

They weren\'t this decade Smilie
Unless you count the Wii\'s vc/port to the cube for ocarina.
The Goldeneye remake that I don\' think has come out on XBLA yet.
Or the Resi 2 port to the cube.

( Edited 21.03.2009 08:23 by Stulaw )

Follow Me on twitter :: @Stulaw90 || My Youtube || Backloggery
NNID: Stulaw

Lmao my mistake it seriously doesn't feel like 10 years have passed since I played those games.

BTW in shameless defence of moi

Ocarina of Time was ported to GameCube so I have Masters Quest too.
Yes I can use Resident Evil 2 GameCube port in my defence.
Regarding GoldenEye damn you Stulaw I can't defend myself on that one.

Starfox Adventures, rare\'s last great game

( Edited 21.03.2009 10:05 by mage_mccloud )

Something from the Wario Ware series, although I don't know which one is the best, the series revived mini-game games for me and actually made them fun.

Let me dig deep into my memories:

Pokemon Gold/Silver
Orange Box
- Specifically Team Fortress 2 and Portal
SSX Tricky
Gaulet: Dark Legacy
Phoenix Wright
(Any of them)
Super Smash Brothers Melee
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Super Mario Galaxy
(Sort of)
James Bond: Agent Under Fire (A game that\'s usually swept under the rug, this game kicks ass)
NEW Super Mario Brothers
CIV IV
Professor Layton

Yeah, I guess that\'s a pretty good list. Not all of them are that great, but there are some good ones.

EDIT: Oh, can\'t forget Mario Kart: DS and Left 4 Dead

( Edited 21.03.2009 23:19 by Keven )

The former top user was Keven! You'd probably give birth to yourself 1000 times over until you sprout wings to fly away into the fading sun, that or you'd just turn into a lesbian. Who knows @_@ - L, 12/06/09

Good good, I'll edit them in tmrw.

Thinking I might as well put Spider-Man and a couple of the others in for the moment, at least until every year has a sizable list of nominees. Some of the early years are flagging a bit. Rush isn't getting a look in, but Advance might edge inSmilie I've just ordered it. Really hoping for good things.

Also I don't know about Mario Kart. I firmly believe that MK is as much a multiplayer game as Left 4 Dead is - it needs other people. Once you have them, it doesn't matter what version you have. My personal favourite is Double Dash because that's the version that I had at uni with regular 4-player matches. Some of the most fun gaming I've ever had. If you claim to enjoy single-player MK I think you've got to get out more. It's just dull.

I shall ruminate. MK really needs to be in there in some form.

Less posty, more gamey.

Man Keven how did I forget Wind Waker? If the game was HD I would cry. That game is awesome despite it's lack of dungeons.

And Tri-force quest. And changing wind direction. And buying feed. And filling out the whole map. But other than that it was fine.

Goldeneye on the n64.. ahh i remember the good times .. im only 14 lol so my judgement might not be the best but that that game was the bomb with 4 controllers playing multiplayer lol

Proximity mines and double D5K's made multiplayer for me. I loved story mode too.

Geometry Wars Evolved
PGR2
Ninja Gaiden / Sigma / 2
Halo 2
Fable
Tony Hawks 2? Was that post 2000?
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga

Anything on the PS1 is pre 2000 Buddah

Disgaea 2
and
Valkyria Chrnonicles (if it hasn't already been mentioned)

I\'ll be supporting Persona 4 too. 2008 may be a hard year for it but for 2009 it doesn\'t have too much opposition (yet) Smilie So Persona 4, game of 2009. Any objections?

( Edited 24.03.2009 12:19 by SuperLink )

Difficult, but I'm gonna go for Majora's Mask. No game has ever had that level of minutie in it, you're not playiong a game, you're watching a world work.

In the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is king.

I'm updating the list with the following:

New Super Mario Bros (2006)
Civilization IV (2005)
Professor Layton and the Curious Village (07/08)
Alien Hominid (04/05)
Mario Kart DS (2005)
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (2005)
Viewtiful Joe (2003)
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (2003)
Banjo-Tooie (2000)
Timesplitters 2 (2002)
Sonic Advance (01/02)
Mario Kart: Super Circuit (2001)
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 (2008)
Ninja Gaiden (2004)
PGR 4 (2007)
Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories (2006)
Valkyria Chronicles (2008)
Lost Winds (2008)

I'm definitely unsure about a few of them, but have decided to include them anyway. Timesplitters is the most dubious, but that's probably just me. Several of them I haven't played, but I know they're well respected. Also, I decided to put all the Mario Karts in there (except Wii) - I know there's some Super Circuit advocates out there. There's some fierce competition in their respective years, but they're there.

Also, Sonic Advance.

Less posty, more gamey.

Right, your next job is to try out Sonic Advance 2 and 3. Unlike Sonic Rush, there is a fair bit of platforming and boost mode is actualy quite a job to achieve at times. You may not like them as much as Advance 1 (for whatever reason) but they're definitely worth your time. Any startup issues with running in the first (running takes way too long to build speed) are solved I guess.

What's up with the sprites? The animation is top notch, it really brings the characters to life.

I'm going to stick to 1 for the moment. I'm looking forward to going through it with all the characters, but will keep an eye out. I don't think running takes any longer to start up than in the originals, but the animation has his legs really going for it at the beginning so it accentuates it.

The animation is fine, I just don't care for the Sonic or Tails sprite.

Less posty, more gamey.

Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (2003)

Double Dash was a disappointment, and not up to the usual Mario Kart standard.

Sonic Advance really is excellent. I'm pretty addicted to improving my time trial times (got a best time on 1st level of 37.70s).

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo, Ofisil

There are 2 members online at the moment.