April Music Recommendations thread (also discuss what youve been listening to)

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 19.05.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

I like these threads, so I nicked Martin's limelight this month and made Aprils Smilie

I've just (in the last few days) got into Kasabian and Kaiser Cheifs, so i'd highly recommend them. I'm going into town this afternoon to get Kaiser Cheifs, and I'll get Kasabian on Friday. I don't know about any new albums being released this month, so I'll leave that discussion to you guys, but two things:

1) I recommend Kaiser Cheifs and Kasabian
2) I do not recommend any R&B Smilie

Buy:

Deadwing by Porcupine Tree

Image for

Its out tomorrow, its ace. Piano and acoustic guitar with often soft lyrics and heavy electric guitar riffing on top. I'm seeing them live Friday, and I can't fucking wait.

Horses in the Sky by Thee Silver Mt Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra-la-la Band

Image for

Also out tomorrow. Its vocally very powerful, with repeated, and heartfelt lyrics repeated and building in power with incredible effect. Violins, Chellos, BIG drums... songs about suicide, drug addiction, and war, though its still very beautiful.

I'll post what I've been listening to later..

You and that sodding tree!

blizzard224 wrote:
You and that sodding tree!

Its because they are the best thing ever.

:peace:

No, The Killers are.

Smilie

By the way, are Embrace any good? My friend last night also suggested them, and I had a quick listen to Ashes, but nothing else. Does anyone on here listen to them?

I wouldn't recommend them personally.. fairly generic pop rock act.

(Btw- you like the killers- look into New Order)

By the way, are Embrace any good? My friend last night also suggested them, and I had a quick listen to Ashes, but nothing else. Does anyone on here listen to them?

I dislike them immensely, and they were terrible live. But I suppose if you like stuff like Coldplay and Keane, you'll like Embrace.

I haven't really bought any new music recently, beyond the new QOTSA album. Mainly been listening to lots of stuff i already own; Lou Reed/Velvet Underground, Sons & Daughters, Pixies, PJ Harvey, Mogwai, Mark Lanegan and ... Fear Factory (!?!?!)

I'm going on a record shop spree on Tuesday though, so all may change...

Ah. I hate Keane, and Coldplay have about 2 OK songs, so it seems Embrace are a bit of a no-go. Thanks, raindog.

listen to powderfinger god-dammit!

the best-of: "fingerprints" is superb as is their latest album: "vulture street"

fingerprints is mostly slow rock and vulture street is a bit louder & faster.

They're both bloody good albums, and incredibly popular in australia, almost EVERYONE loves them. They haven't made it overseas yet, but they deserve it, you should all really give em a listen!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Duffman ~~~~~~~~~
"If you make yourself really small, you can externalize virtually everything", Daniel Dennett

Duffman- I have seen their records everywhere here.

Powderfinger! Dammit, knew I missed something out on my to get list. I need to Vulture Street too then... (I think it's called that, duffman?)

Seriously, duffman? I had no idea you were into powderfinger. You should have mentioned it before... Smilie

Rob W wrote:
Seriously, duffman? I had no idea you were into powderfinger. You should have mentioned it before... Smilie

ZING!

The new Gorillaz song Feel Good Inc is brilliant, its great to see the band make a comeback, hopefully they follow up well.

We're mentalist psychic Scots, which means we can read your mind. If you're lying, your head explodes and we laugh

We're mentalist psychic Scots, which means we can read your mind. If you're lying, your head explodes and we laugh

Seriously, duffman? I had no idea you were into powderfinger. You should have mentioned it before...

o/\o

I've been listening to Brendan Benson - Alternative to Love. It's a very nice, easy listening album with a fair range of sounds. I just wish he was coming to Newcastle...

I've also been listening to David Bowie for the past couple of weeks which is odd because I used to hate his music.

I've been tempted by the new New Order album but I haven't really heard a lot of their songs. I've heard the really obvious ones like True Faith and the Blue Monday tracks but not any of their lesser known songs. Might give it a risk.

(p.s Kasabian are great and I'm seeing the Kaiser Chiefs on the 17th. Woo!)

Oh excellent, I liked the Gorillaz when they were first about, didn't know they were coming back. Any more info Rory?

As for Embrace, they are nothing like Coldplay. Lyrically and musically Coldplay are very talented, Embrace just drone and drone. For music about at the moment, I would have to reccomend the new Stereophonics album "Language. Sex. Violence. Other?". It's a new direction for them, but it is very well done and well worth the investment. The Bravery, whilst not my thing (I find them a bit tedious and annoying in all honesty) are meant to be 'very good' so their album might be worth a look (self titled).

Garbage have a new album out, Bleed Like Me, I can't stand them, some love them. Catch it on April 11th if you are interested. The soundtrack to Mary Poppins is out tommorow (April 4th)! as is Morrissey Live At Earls Court (horrible, but some like him...somehow). I'll shut up now.

Trying to think of a witty signature after 'Hacker-gate'...

I thought The Gorillaz were just Damon Albarn in a studio?

Just to help Tempo's post, you want to avoid Stereophonics, Garbage, and The Bravery. (Infact, just avoid all new bands with "The" something as their name).

The new Gorillaz album is apparently full of shit rap, so I won't be getting it. Might be worth a sample though Smilie

[ Edited by msenyszak on 2005/4/3 14:59 ]

I saw the video on TOTP (lucky as I dont usually watch TV), and its on CD may 9th.

I have an MP3 of it though, ill MSN you it?

Rob W wrote:

Nah, the Gorillaz is a cartoon collabortation between Damon and some other homegrown individuals (I think Del the Funky Homosapien, Kid Koala and the comic book artist who did Tank Girl etc. are all involved). I quite liked them first time around, though the same individuals - and loads more - were also the core of the vastly superior Deltron3030.

!!!

Gorillaz are much more funkay Smilie

After Msenyszak reccomended them I've been listening to a lot of The Mars Volta and Dream Theater. They really do rock!

Gorillaz are much more funkay Smilie

Meh... I prefer Blur.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
jesusraz

There are 1 members online at the moment.